Support Worker – Supported Living Service
Support worker – Supported Living
Salary: £9.06 per hour
Job Ref No: SLSLNWBY0421
Hours: 2 X 18 hours (Monday to Sunday flexible)
Contract type: Unlimited
PSS in a nutshell
At PSS, we’ve got an important job to do; and that’s to help people make the most of their lives. Whether you’re working directly with the people who use our services, or behind the scenes in one of our offices, every day you’ll be helping to make other people feel happier, healthier and more supported.
We’re a social enterprise or, as we like to call it – a ‘business with a heart’. This means that all the money we make goes back into finding new ways to help people. Our aim is simple; we want to help people change their lives for the better – no matter what life throws at them. We’ve got offices across Merseyside, Wales, Manchester, Norfolk and Suffolk, the Isle of Man and the Midlands, where we’re making our stamp.
What’s our Supported Living service all about
We have homes in Liverpool where people can live safely in their own flat or live with other people in a house. People living in one of our Supported Living arrangements can live as independently as you want to. They’ll have a support worker who can give them as much or as little support as they want and need. This could be adults with a learning disability, an older person who may need some support around the home, someone experiencing mental health struggles, somebody going through substance misuse or a young adult who needs support.
The support offered is completely person-centred and built around the individual person, their needs and goals for the future. Support workers can work with that person to help them develop new skills and become independent, manage their money and apply for benefits, access health and social care services, gain employment, get involved in the community, manage their emotions, take their medications, look after their personal care. It’s all about helping people feel safe, happy and well.
Who are we looking for?
We’re on the hunt for someone who has a big heart, is open-minded, genuine, determined and professional. The perfect candidate will be positive with a can-do approach and will be committed to providing excellent support.
Hi, I’m Jonathan. I like staying busy and I’ve got lots of interests that are important to me.
I want someone to support me to:
- Keep on volunteering. I represent people with learning disabilities at different groups in the social care sector. It’s important to me that I attend my meetings (over Zoom currently).
- Make my own decisions about my day-to-day life. I need someone who empowers me to make my own choices in life. Someone needs to respect and understand my choices about my care and support.
- Going to meetings. I volunteer in the learning disability sector. When my face-to-face meetings are happening again, I would need support with traveling to them. Sometimes these are local and sometimes they are further away. Right now, I need some support with Zoom for my remote meetings.
- Keeping in touch with my family. I am very close to my family. I would need someone to support me to stay in contact with my family and come to family parties and gatherings with me when this is allowed.
- Going to church. My religion is a big part of my life. You would need to attend church with me and come to holy celebrations with me when the church is open.
- Staying fit and healthy. I often have to go to medical appointments and I need some support booking these in, going to them, and also taking the medication I need to daily. Sometimes I need my medical information explaining to me so that I can understand exactly what the doctor is telling me.
- Looking after my home. I need some support with doing my laundry, my washing up and ironing and some other stuff around the house.
We offer a range of benefits:
- Access to the Employee Assistance Programme
- Costco Wholesale membership
- Company pension scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Retail discounts
Please note a full UK driving licence is a desirable requirement for this role.
- Closing date – 21st April 2021
- Interviews – TBC
Please email your completed application and monitoring form to firstname.lastname@example.org
PSS values the importance of Diversity