With My Parent in Prison
Family Impact: Prisoner’s Families
We provide support to children with a parent in prison, or children whose parents have been in prison and have recently been released. Our ‘whole family’ model means we offer support to the child, their parent/carer and, where possible, the prisoner parent post-release.
We provide families with:
- Advice on what to tell children about imprisonment
- One to one support for children to discuss their feelings and wishes regarding contact
- Peer group support for children where they can meet others who share their experience whilst having fun.
- A support group for adults who have a loved one in prison.
- Advocacy support (we can speak to prison, probation and other services on your behalf).
Parents, including both the parent/carer and the prisoner parent post-release are welcome to join our Family Recovery Programme.
HMP Altcourse Visitor’s Centre
We also manage the visitor’s centre at HMP Altcourse where our role includes the processing of visitors on arrival, providing information, support and play activities for children.
Read our Don’t Worry Booklet an advice guide for children and young people with a parent in prison, written and illustrated by other children who know how it feels.